Sunday, October 05, 2008

Music Was My First Love . . .

This is the 10 Songs that evoke emotion meme set by Miss Alex.

I am a very emotional person. Even now, as I write this, I am crying. And music; Music is a big part of my life, therefore this meme may reveal many deep traits of my personalities. You may not like some of them.

1. A song that brings you back to a happy moment.
I have had only one happy moment in my life that I remember. It lasted for about three minutes in 1983 and no music was involved.

2. A song that feels good when you're angry.
I have never considered this before, therefore I cannot supply a valid answer. Music calms me down when I'm upset or angry. If that is the objective of the question, then I will say that any Eva Cassidy song will calm me down and make me cry.

3. A song that makes you sad.
There are so many songs that make me feel sad. The songs themselves don't make me sad; life makes me sad.
Suzanne Vega: Solitude Standing: Luka.
Eric Clapton: Pilgrim: My Father's Eyes.
Eva Cassidy: Songbird: Fields Of Gold.
Mary-Chapin Carpenter: Come On Come On: Only A Dream.
Eddi Reader: Angels & Electricity: Kite Flyer's Hill.
Judie Tzuke: Secret Agent: Bully.
Paul Williams: Life Goes On: Where Do I Go From Here.
Barbra Streisand: Guilty: Make It Like A Memory.

4. A song you have to change every single time it's on.
A long time ago, I decided that songs I dislike do not make my playlist, therefore all songs I do not like have been removed from my players. If I am in a bar and a song I do not like is being played, I smash the jukbox, rip the speakers from the wall or cleave the MC's decks in half.
I have been expelled from many bars, but going out with me is never dull.

5. A song you can't listen to anymore.
I'm sure there is one, but I can't think of it at present. Maybe it hurts so much that my sub-conscious has buried it deep within my id.

6. A song that a commercial ruined for you.
If there is one, I can't think of it. Most of the music I love is old now, and hasn't been used in commercials for years.

7. A song that never gets old.
Helen Reddy: I am Woman."If I have to, I can do anything. I am strong, I am invincible!"
Hail my Sister, I understand!

8. A drunk - sing - at - the - top - of - your - lungs song.
Mary-Chapin Carpenter: Come On Come On: The Hard Way.
John Miles: Rebel: Music.
Deacon Blue: Raintown: Raintown.
Deacon Blue: Raintown: Dignity.
Don McLean: American Pie: American Pie.

9. A song you've had on your myspace.
I barely manage to post on my Blogs. Myspace is for cool people, not those such as myself.

10. A song you'd get made fun of if people knew you liked.
I get made fun of all the time. I like Jimmy Nail and Bruce Willis. And Tangerine Dream! Does anyone reading this also have any Ramases Albums?


I wrote the piece below when I got my first high capacity MP3 player in 1998. It is still in use and I love it with all my heart.

"Music was my first love, and it will be my last. Music of the future, and Music of the past"
I cannot convey in words the emotion I feel when I listen to this wonderful device. Your Music collection defines you; it is gathered throughout your life and is a most personal and intimate thing. To be able to carry your entire Music collection with you, in your pocket, is not something you can put a price on. It is worth all the money in the world.
"To live without my Music would be impossible to do. Because in this world of troubles, my Music pulls me through."

Words by John Miles.

Negative tag. Too emotional . . .

9 Comments:

Blogger Identity Crisis said...

Did you ever make it to see Elkie?

3:02 PM  
Blogger Cooper Green said...

This is very uplifting, Sans, I'm on top of the world! Hang on, I'm going to read it again ...

8:35 PM  
Blogger Identity Crisis said...

Ah...First of all I'd like to thank you for your endless, witty and introspective support over the years which has been, ah, so very incredibly inspirational. I'd also like to thank my parents for my first camera, that precious Kodak Instamatic. I would be remiss if I did not mention Mr Traynor, my grade 5 teacher, who in the face of much skepticism encouraged my artistic tendancies...oh gosh, I'm getting all choked up here...hold on....

1:16 PM  
Blogger Identity Crisis said...

Which month in 1983?

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought I was sentimental about music, you're worse than me.

I have a hard time listening to older music because it reminds me of so much stuff. I can only really listen to current music.

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Call Me.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Sans Pantaloons said...

Identity, Yes! I did go her gig in Hamilton. It was great! Unfortunately my hand-held long exposure furtive camera skills are awful and I have a number of blurry images that do not really constitute a post. Elkie was great however, and I had a good time!

Coop, Thank You! Or are you being sarcastic. No matter, Yay!

Identity, Bravo!!
Month answered above.

Teri, I admit to being a sentimental old fool.

Dr. Feelgood, okay! Thanks for visiting.

3:41 PM  
Blogger Miss Alex said...

Bruce Willis? :)

thank you for sharing. I'm sorry if it brought you down :)

5:24 PM  
Blogger Sans Pantaloons said...

Miss Alex, it's okay, I'm not down. If anything I'm pretty up!
The Willis admission refers to this post.

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home