Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Banned in the UK.

Wednesday afternoon grocery shopping.

It went something like this. "Excuse me", "Do you have any Clamato Juice?"

"Ah", "Tomato Juice aisle six".

"No, no, not Tomato Juice", "Clamato Juice".

"Ah, you mean Cranberry Juice", "Aisle six".

"No, no, not Cranberry Juice", "Clam-a-ato Juu-ii-ce"

Blank stare.

"Juice from Clams?"

"Well, yes", "There is a dash of Clam in it".

I could see the gears turning.

"Look Mister, we have Tomato Juice, Cranberry Juice, Raspberry Juice, Blackberry Juice, Avacado Juice, Apple & Pear Juice Blueberry & Grape Juice and Orange Juice".
"We do not have "Clam-ato Juice".

Pfttt...
I also failed to get Kellogg's Strawberry flavor Mini-Wheats...

I left the supermarket feeling juiceless.

When I got home. I tried online to find info on Clamato....

Where you can buy Clamato
Clamato is available in the US, Mexico, Canada and the Caribbean.

10. I'm not from Canada or the United States. How can I get Mott's* Clamato* in my home country?
At the time of publication, no laws were in existence, either expressed or implied, preventing the export of Mott's* Clamato* for personal use.While we are unable to involve ourselves directly in this process, most international airlines offer convenient options for international travel to Canada.You will, however, be subject to their rules governing the size of carry-on luggage, so we suggest you pack lightly.


HA!, What do they know! A little further digging produced this:




Yes it's true, Clamato is banned in the UK...

Woo Hooo.... or Boo Hooo.... delete whichever is applicable.

11 Comments:

Blogger Teri said...

um, I would go with WOO HOO myself.

what an adventure at the grocery store. he probably thought you were a fruit cake.

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woo Hooo also! You are SO fortunate, Sans!

4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

... although, looking at the picture againnnnn, it SEEMS that avocados are also banned. So you aren't THAT fortunate Sans. Sorry...

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's sad that you're THAT interested in Clamato. But, kinda funny and entertaining, also.

I have never heard of avacado juice, either.

And frogtilla chips?? That's just sick.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

that,
by far..
was the funniest
post I read today

the quest for clamato juice
HAHahaha

I think the ban is a good thing

but

no strawberry mini-wheats???
This is an outrage!!!

8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boo-hoo!

I'll try to smuggle Clamato Juice in for you on my next trip to Scotland in about 10 years from now.
Too long to wait?

Okay, I'll start sending appeals out to Scotland's equivalent of the "state department"--this cannot continue! :)

11:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, that sucks!
What about Nutter Butters?

12:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brainstorm!
Take the juice from some canned/fresh clams, mix with tomato juice and Tabas*o, viola!

Splash of vodka works nice.

12:23 AM  
Blogger Mel said...

I havent found Clamato juice in SC either, but I managed to get over it. It will be ok :)

6:24 AM  
Blogger Sans Pantaloons said...

Teri, he was not having a good day.

Dick, unfortunately these items cannot be brought in by person, but we can still import by licence/license. I can get Clamato if I import 140 cases.
I'm thinking about it. . . Done.

Amy, maybe it was Avocado & Pear, or maybe I dreamed the whole thing. Frogtilla chips do not actually contain any Frog. Him name Hopkin green frog.

Thanks Jen, the strawberry flavor is too new to be out here yet. Nestle are very big here, about 70/30 Nestle/Kellogg.

Zed, thanks but it's OK. I'll do without.
Phew! lucky escape.. Wait, did I think that out loud?

Hello mixednut, I have never tried Nutter Butters. Don't think I can get them here either. Am I missing something great?
I will try your brainstorm idea!

Mel, I'm with you. We will survive.

5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the londis store in fairford glos stocks clamato !! tel 01285 712208 ask for andy

7:52 AM  

<< Home