Friday, July 11, 2008

A Repost - Lullaby by William Blake.

O for a voice like thunder, and a tongue
To drown the throat of war! - When the senses
Are shaken, and the soul is driven to madness,
Who can stand? When the souls of the oppressed
Fight in the troubled air that rages, who can stand?
When the whirlwind of fury comes from the
Throne of God, when the frowns of his countenance
Drive the nations together, who can stand?
When Sin claps his broad wings over the battle,
And sails rejoicing in the flood of Death;
When souls are torn to everlasting fire,
And fiends of Hell rejoice upon the slain,
O who can stand? O who hath caused this?
O who can answer at the throne of God?
The Kings and Nobles of the Land have done it!
Hear it not, Heaven, thy Ministers have done it!



9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love William Blake. One of my favorite poems.

That song is nice too. It's familiar to me bet I can't place it....

7:42 AM  
Blogger SkylersDad said...

Hey, I nominated you for an award over at my place!

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually Cat was telling me just yesterday that she never heard of William Blake before....

1:46 PM  
Blogger Cheer34 said...

I just looked at your profile....you are in the United Kingdom????? maybe we could have met at a pub????? I was in London for 5 days....

9:20 PM  
Blogger Cheer34 said...

PS I know the United KIngdom includes Scotland, Wales and Ireland so maybe London was not so close to you.....I still
would have liked to meet you

9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Dick...apparently he's mixing his meds again.


SIGH...Get help my friend.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Identity Crisis said...

I shall sleep well now.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Julia Phillips Smith said...

'When the whirlwind of fury comes from the
Throne of God, when the frowns of his countenance
Drive the nations together, who can stand?'

Who, indeed?

10:27 PM  
Blogger Sans Pantaloons said...

Cat, The track is called Lullaby from the album Elemental by Loreena McKennitt. The recitation is by Actor Douglas Campbell.

SkylersDad, Thank You! I apologise for being tardy in posting my acceptance. I am six posts behind.

Dick, Cat is a clever and beautiful woman.

Cheer34, I'm sorry. i thought you knew I lived on this desolate island. Unfortunately my present circumstances do not allow me to travel far, and the 400 miles to London was not possible. Your pictures are excellent, and I hope you had a great time, even if you didn't meet Meatloaf!

Cat, Dick is an intelligent and trustworthy chap!

Identity, all is well with the world.

Julia, they are powerful words, and the mind behind them.

7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home