Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Saucy Pictures!

Janna posted about the different meanings certain descriptions have between the USA & UK.

One was Tomato Ketchup in the USA being called Tomato Sauce in the UK. Although either description can be used and Ketchup is the printed label description, I have always called it Tomato Sauce.

Possibly the difficulty arose because of Brown Sauce, and Tomato Sauce was called such just to differentiate the two.

The question that was asked then, is what is the USA version of Tomato Sauce called in the UK. In the pictures below, at least one brand describes the contents as Crushed Tomatoes. I have also seen cans of Tomato Purée and tubes of Tomato Paste, but I think further investigation is required.

I'm sorry the photographs are not too clear. I'm never happy taking pictures in a supermarket because of the possibilities for mis-understanding.


Is this guy a Blogger or a Food-Fetishist?

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm expecting a follow up. Chips or crisps post. LOL.

I watch a lot of BBC America and I find the different terms for things kinda charming.

I'm wondering if I could use our canoe to float over.

7:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've been tagged...

http://screamingshrew.blogspot.com/2008/06/crazy-eights.html

9:32 AM  
Blogger Goggles Piasano Ritardo said...

what is brown sauce?

1:57 PM  
Blogger mixednut said...

Most of the stores and markets around here prohibit photography. I guess the melons are shy.

2:20 PM  
Blogger anne altman said...

thats a nice market. nyc supermarkets are opposite of super.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Sans Pantaloons said...

Cat, I used to be a crisp fan, mostly Tomato Ketchup and Cheese & Onion flavours, but these days not so much.

Midleah, did & done.

Ritardo, the nearest similar USA product would be Steak Sauce I believe.

MixedNut, I don't actually know their policy regarding pictures. I just act furtive. And quick furtive.

Anne, are there no vertical supermarkets? Might not be cart/trolley friendly..

7:55 PM  
Blogger SkylersDad said...

My UK friends and I would always go round and round about chips vs. crisps...

10:10 PM  
Blogger Goggles Piasano Ritardo said...

of course.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Janna said...

Ahhh!
I see.
Sorry it took me so long to check this out.
It looks like the product I was referring to is "tomato puree."
I'm also fascinated by the price signs that say "95p" and "99p".
I'm so used to seeing dollars and cents.
If I ever take a trip over there, I will be very easy to entertain.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Sans Pantaloons said...

SkylersDad, It causes great debate. You can buy chips here, but I think crisps are only available in the ethnic section in the USA. That and Cadbury Flake.
And Chocolate Buttons!

Ritardo, they taste similar, but not the same. HP might be available in the ethnic section!
For a price...

Janna, it is interesting to see a parallel culture. I'll try to think of some more things to photograph.

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home