Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Book Meme.

Julia has tagged me with this Book meme.

Here's how to play:
1. Pick up the nearest book.
2. Open to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people, and acknowledge who tagged you.

The nearest book is one I'm using for reference. It is titled 'Propulsion Without Wheels' and was first printed in 1966. Written by E.R. Laithwaite D.Sc., Ph.D., C.Eng., F.I.E.E. Fel. I.E.E.E., the then Professor of Heavy Electrical Engineering at Imperial College, University of London.
This edition is a 1972 reprint.

E.R. Laithwaite, 1921-1997, is a personal hero, and one whom I consider a giant in Electrical Engineering upon whose shoulders we stand.

There are others who disagree.
To them I say; There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

The book is about the potential of the device known as the Linear Induction Motor, an example of which is televisored below.

The excerpt:
This being so, a linear single-phase machine with end springs will oscillate, continuously once started, provided the conditions for single-phase operation are fulfilled. As each spring reverses the velocity, so the driving force is automatically reversed. Since the conditions for back-to-back oscillation and for single-phase running (G > 1) are the same, a linear motor which will oscillate when connected for back-to-back operation will also run when connected as a single-phase machine, and vice-versa.

The Example:

Text link is here.

6 Comments:

Blogger Janna said...

If we had one of those out here in the middle of nowhere, we could move back and forth from cow to cow even faster...

And don't forget the sheep and horses.

7:52 PM  
Blogger Julia Phillips Smith said...

First of all - may I say I'm totally loving the header you created. Weaved in and out, and everything! *tipping my hat*

I can honestly say I don't have a copy of 'Propulsion Without Wheels'. I may have even learned something today! I'm not sure, though - does that mean that an endless energy is created out of the reversing spring release?

9:45 AM  
Blogger Identity Crisis said...

Great. Now I have to change my entire itinerary for my trip to China. Thanks a lot!

10:18 AM  
Blogger Sans Pantaloons said...

Janna, the monorail episode of the Simpsons springs to mind...

Julia, the excerpt refers to a Lab model where springs were fitted to stop the rotor, the bit that moves, slamming into the end of the track. When the model was run, it was noticed that the rotor simply bounced off the spring and reversed direction automatically, doing this at both ends, it self-oscillated. It was unexpected and puzzled them greatly till they figured it out!

Identity, I'm so sorry. I'm sure you will have a great trip whatever method of transport you choose!

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok. This proves how smart you are. I'm sending you my homework. I shall give you a kidney if you ever need one.

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know crabcuracha, these guys are like really smart.

Really smart, it's scary.

Mensa people.

And I don't have a clue about what they are talking about. BUT these are the kind of people that will save the planet.

I'm sure of it.

2:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home