Sunday, June 08, 2008

Let There Be Soup.

This bright and overcast morning I made the soup recipe advised by Dick Small.
I didn't really adhere to the recipe very well. I added two potatoes, an onion and some pearl barley. I used half the complete Butternut Squash, diced half & blended half in the blender; like wise with a potato, the carrot, and half the onion.

The Butternut Squash has a texture similar to turnip/rutabaga and a sweet taste that reminds me of something I can't quite put my finger on. But nice. It is a teuch vegetable to dice by hand.


The veg was softened in olive oil prior to adding the pre-boiled and rinsed pearl barley, then I added some stock made with a stock cube.
Simmered for about two hours.

I made a mess, as per usual.

Garnish with garlic croutons and serve. It was okay, no post mortem required Scarlet.

I shall have some more right now.

14 Comments:

Blogger Scarlet said...

Please Sir, can I have some more?

10:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love pearl barley.

12:41 AM  
Blogger Sans Pantaloons said...

Scarlet, no you Fagin well can't.
Until I make more, that is...

Marjorie, me too!

3:19 AM  
Blogger Special K said...

Despite the 'cooking' mess let me say your sink looks surprising clean for a man, and you have excellent taste in soup bowls.

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

why was i not invited? harrumph

12:51 PM  
Blogger jimmycity said...

You forgot to tell us if it was DELICIOUS. It sure LOOKS good!

As a gay guy who doesn't know a thing about dinnerware, I gotta agree that the soup bowl ROCKS!

7:54 PM  
Blogger Sans Pantaloons said...

Special K, thank you. The bowl is attractive!

Cat, I will make up for my omission. Listen for the 'Soups Up' shout!

Jimmy, the first helping was okay, but after it cooled and I had a second helping it was scrumptious!
When I make more, I'll tweak the recipe a little. I do like the bowl. Presentation is critical, don't you think?

3:29 AM  
Blogger Julia Phillips Smith said...

I just ate my lunch, but now I'm hungry all over again...

11:52 AM  
Blogger Identity Crisis said...

Such a lovely bowl! Tell us where you found it.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Identity Crisis said...

Oh and nice work with the teuch explanation.

9:50 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

I'm impressed. And hungry!

10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you still there or did the soup recipe poison you??

11:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a coincidence, Sans! Squash is also the food of the week on IGoogle.

Don't you feel special?? (Wink)

11:24 AM  
Blogger Sans Pantaloons said...

Julia, I'm going to open a soup kitchen.

Identity, thank you. I shall tell the bowl story.

Dale, thank you. Maitre d', the best table for Mr. Dale, vite!

Cat, I'm still here. Thank you for your concern. Work is consuming a lot of soup making time.

Geo, thank you for that information! I'm a trend-setter.
Well, it's Joe really...

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home