Thursday, July 08, 2010

A Matter Of Interpretation.

This is going to be a bit of a rant concerning CRM-MMM stuff, so abandon ship now if you have zero interest.

The Lady graphic shown in the Post below "A Quick One...", is taken from the graphic below.

This graphic is one of the plates from the folios published in 1902 by Alexander Koch, and printed by Emil Hochdanz. It is a hand-coloured photolithograph. As far as I am aware, the original material submitted by CRM-MMM as their competition entry is lost, so we have to accept the copied & published folio as true.
The Lady is right in the middle of the graphic, between the two roses, and in the centre of the arc/elipse above the piano.
As you can see, a great deal of interpretation is required to even get to the Lady graphic in "A Quick One..."
I am sure, when MMM designed these panels, she was laying down intent, not actuality. When the panels were reproduced full size for 'The House For an Art Lover', it seems zero, if any interpretation was done.

When I took up my Mackintosh & the Modern Movement 'brush', in this post, I set myself one rule. The rule.  The only rule.

It must be beautiful.

The Lady graphic in "A Quick One...", is nice but not beautiful.
To make the interpretative jump from 'nice' to 'beautiful' is something I am striving to attain.

With 98% confidence, 1% skill & 1% luck, I do my best.

I often wonder what CRM-MMM and Frances & Herbert would have thought of Photoshop/PSP. I'm sure it would have been glorious.

2 Comments:

Blogger anne altman said...

man, i love this stuff!

2:51 PM  
Blogger Sans Pantaloons said...

Anne, thank you! Lots more coming...

Josh, I have an inkling that you are spam broadside. If not, then no thank you. I haven't anything to give away.

2:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home