Friday, July 31, 2009

The First Time...

After two major disasters in my relentless quest for satisfaction, herewith find the results of my experiment.
I have learned a great deal about what not to do, and that I was probably over-ambitious using the 0.5mm fabric tape, even though it was the only solution to my need for resolution.
I will qualify the tape also; I don't think it is actually fabric, but some sort of coated paper weave. It is pretty strong and is/was made by ChartPak. I don't think they manufacture it any more.
LetraSet do something similar.

I have also learned satisfaction is impossible to achieve, and that I have to settle for content.

This project was initially designed to be simply a frame hung like a photograph. I took a photo of what it looks like as designed, shown below . The colour wash and other effects were applied later to enhance the stained glass effect when window mounted. The sparkly effect of the nail polish can be seen when viewed in this mode.

It is not quite finished yet. I may paint the top and bottom rectangles in yellow and blue to complete the frame effect, assuming I can get it back off the window. It is stuck there using double-sided adhesive tape meant for floor tiles, so it may prove difficult to remove.
Eventually though, the adhesive tape will degrade, and I do not want a wash-handbasin full of glass, so it cannot be the final resting place. Also below, shown as it appears when dark outside.

Browsing the internets for CR Mackintosh gifts for sale, it appears that this method could be applied equally well to mirrors. I may try this.
It would be nice to have something pretty to look at when I use the mirror.

Shown above when the Sun went away, hiding behind the clouds that make a Scottish day Scottish.

Obsession is still fuel to the soul.

All homage to Margaret Macdonald Mackintosh.

8 Comments:

Blogger Some Guy said...

Outstanding!

9:05 AM  
Blogger SkylersDad said...

That is a truly beautiful piece of work!

11:18 AM  
Blogger anne altman said...

see what you did?

fantastic. beautiful!

frustrating, but fun, no?

doing stuff is cool.

xo

6:17 PM  
Blogger love, jenn said...

UBER COOL!!

11:26 PM  
Blogger Sans Pantaloons said...

Chris, thank you!

ChrisSD, thank you!

Anne, doing stuff is cool.
Frustrating to the nth degree, but fun when finished, yes.

Jenn, I shall now make stained glass pocket protectors!

2:54 PM  
Blogger Julia Phillips Smith said...

'I have also learned satisfaction is impossible to achieve, and that I have to settle for content.'

Spoken like a true artist, Sans.

In honour of your obsession, I included a Charles Rennie Mackintosh rose panel in my August Sidebar Art Gallery.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Miss Alex said...

Gorgeous.... thank you for caring about me by the way

6:46 PM  
Blogger Sans Pantaloons said...

Julia, thank you very much!

Miss Alex, thank you! ;¬)

10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home