Sunday, July 19, 2009

The State Of Play.

I thought it best to show the frame where I might mount it when finished, onto my bathroom window, as suggested by the great Anne Altman. It's held up by blu-tac, so scary when I had to let go to take the picture.
It is a difficult medium to work on. What looks good in reflected light normally is not when held up to sunlight, and dust is a killer. I had one disaster trying to mix my own paint. Scraping it off was not a lot of fun. This is quite definitely an experiment.

If something acceptable falls out at the end, that will be a bonus.

6 Comments:

Blogger bernthis said...

you made that? How freakin cool is that and beautiful and original.

6:47 PM  
Blogger joe said...

Lookin' good, Sans!

7:14 PM  
Anonymous teri said...

it's lovely. reminds me of stained glass, which I love.

11:54 AM  
Blogger anne altman said...

i think it looks terrific, i can tell you nailed the yellow and blue bits. tho even if it's uneven or splotchy, in my opinion, it looks like stained glass, the old timey kind.

does your glasspaint remove with nailpolish or paint remover instead of having to chip it off?

2:22 PM  
Blogger Sans Pantaloons said...

Jessica, thank you. I cannot take credit for the design. That is the work of Margaret Macdonald Mackintosh.

Joe, thank you!

Lynda, I concur!

Teri, I will try to photograph it in Scottish sunlight, which will be difficult. I might do some more stuff like it. I like the stained glass effect too!

Anne, thank you! You might change your mind with the next yellow bits, for which I used too much paint, and created a lovely big splotchy run. Oh well...
Ah, there is the rub! Yes, the glass paint can be removed with turps or nailpolish remover, but as I learned to my cost, this also removes the adhesive holding down the fabric tape. After a lot of backtracking and repair, I decided chipping and scraping was the best option. This is why I am trepidatious about painting the rose. Tonight.

3:34 PM  
Blogger anne altman said...

aye! gotcha.

you're an artist which means you're naturally too hard on yourself SO

remind yourself that the process is as important as the result
:)

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home