Friday, December 10, 2010

Stand Tall.

Often when I search for images, something I'm not looking for catches my eye. That is what happened with the graphic above. Alas, I cannot identify the original artist, nor remember the link from whence the image came. This is my version however then, of an image by artist unknown. If you can identify the original artist, please let me know and I will acknowledge credit.
Update. After much scanning of my disk drive, I have found the artist and link. This graphic was drawn by Professor Josef Hoffmann, architect, and published in 1903 in the Journal, Ver Sacrum #6.
In 1900, the Group of Four was invited by Josef Hoffmann to exhibit at the 8th Vienna Secession, a show of the achievements of the Austrian and international handicraft community.
My confusion was caused by the original drawing bearing the monogram FW for Fritz Waerndorfer, rather than JH, for Josef Hoffmann. Fritz Waerndorfer was a patron of CRM-MMM, and Josef Hoffmann produced this CRM-MMM inspired drawing as an Ex-Libris, probably / possibly for Fritz Waerndorfer's private library. My version differs slightly, in that I failed to understand that the figures are being used to represent plant forms, their heads/hats in florescence, and their bodies as stems. Thus there are only three 'stems' in the original, whereas I have drawn 'bodies', because I have zero talent and know nothing.
The original can be seen here. 
Sans Update 16th November 2011.
If you have arrived here from a search engine, there is a reworked version of this graphic at
http://sanspantaloons.blogspot.com/2010/12/redux.html
and a printed version pictured in my post at
http://sanspantaloons.blogspot.com/2011/05/wid-wide-wobbley.html
It is a beautiful image. All homage to Professor Josef Hoffmann.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sans Pantaloons said...

Anne, I reworked it a bit. I hope you like it.

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home