Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Honesty.

Margaret and Frances Macdonald shared a studio at 128 Hope Street, Glasgow, from 1894 to 1899. This piece by Frances known as the 'Honesty Mirror', is dated around 1895-96.
Methinks, the Honesty plant is apposite for a mirror.
Since the original work is is a beaten tin metal frame, a great deal of Pantalunatic licence/license has been took. The licence/license what I took, is taken, by me. Yup. 

The original can be seen here.

As always, clicking upon the graphic should enable a larger view.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sushiboy said...

It doesn't get much more honest than looking yourself in the eye in the mirror.

The mirror had kind of an eerie quality, the eye's of the muses are quite haunting. I like the softer tone of your rendition.

3:43 AM  
Blogger Sans Pantaloons said...

Sushi, I left quite a number of facial lines out. I wasn't sure if Frances original intention was to have one figure showing an ageing face, and the other showing a youthful face. I couldn't tell so I settled for a softer compromise.
I was just thinking today, that anyone with a spare baking tray, could make one of these with a hanful of nails, a toffee hammer, and a shitload of confidence.
Now, where is my toffee hammer?

2:17 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toffee_hammer

A toffee hammer! You mean it's not candy?

1:22 AM  
Blogger Sans Pantaloons said...

I think a 'Candy Hammer' might be a good title for a scary movie!

Do you have a spare baking tray, Zed?

4:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home