Saturday, October 30, 2010

One For Zed.

For Zed.

Notes on the graphic:
J. Herbert McNair, was the Brother-in-law of CRM-MMM, and the husband of Frances, making up the group of Four.
This design was used by Herbert on a poster for the Liverpool Academy of Arts in 1901.
The original can be seen here.
There is an expanded description of the graphic on my postcards post, here.

Notes on the Cats:
The cats and nimbus are part of a frieze that CRM stencilled or painted on his bedroom wall sometime between 1890 and1896, then aged 21 to 27.
There is only one piece of photographic evidence for this, and the date cannot be narrowed further. ( I'm working on it.)
The frieze was later reproduced on the playroom wall of 'Gladsmuir', the home of William Davidson, when CRM designed the interior in 1896.
Although these cats represent Frankie and Johnnie, it is reputed that CRM-MMM also had two cats, whose names were Lancelot and Guinevere.

5 Comments:

Blogger Zed said...

Beautiful stuff! Thank you.

So I ushered Frankie & Johnnie into the office to see it, and Frankie fell asleep while Johnnie just yawned. The ingrates.

I think it's lovely and I still think you need to get in touch with some large-city galleries and have a much wider distribution. Do you even recognize how talented you are? Very.

Thanks again. OH, and check out my blog about Jorgenson from Iceland. :)

6:53 PM  
Blogger Sans Pantaloons said...

Zed, thank you. I'm pleased you like it. Cats are so hard to please. Maybe some fish might have swung it...
I will keep trying to entice Iceland.

7:30 AM  
Blogger Zed said...

Don't knock yourself out too much.
Honestly, have you even MET anyone from Iceland?

Didn't think so. There's no one there, I tell you. Not a soul.

10:00 PM  
Blogger Julia Phillips Smith said...

There's Bjork.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Sans Pantaloons said...

Zed, I believe Julia is correct, with Bjork hailing from Iceland. I'm not sure if she still lives there full time, though.
We had a television presenter from Iceland called Magnús Magnússon, who was quite famous over here. His daughter, Sally, still reads the Scottish news.

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home