Monday, October 04, 2010

Now Lost.


This is my impression of a leaded glass design which was displayed above the fireplace just in front of the inverted teardrop mirror, in the Room de Luxe of the Willow Tearooms, Sauchiehall St. Glasgow, Scotland, shortly after it opened in 1903.
The size I believe, was approx 24 inches tall and 18 inches wide. It was last displayed at the Memorial Exhibition held in the McLellan Galleries Glasgow, on 3rd May 1933, just months after the death of Margaret Macdonald Mackintosh.
I don't have any further information on the piece. It is now lost.

You can see the inside of the Willow Tearooms at Gerald Blaikie's website here.

Gerald has kindly given permission to use one of his images to illustrate where the design was originally displayed. I have photoshopped an impression of the piece in situ, shown below.

The image above is credited to Gerald Blaikie, and used with permission.

3 Comments:

Blogger 1st Lady said...

I had lunch at the Tearooms a few years ago... see http://www.scottishdiary.com/2008/02/day-trip-to-glasgow-and-rennie.html , the church is amazing. The cream meringue was amazing too.

3:24 AM  
Blogger Sans Pantaloons said...

1st Lady, it was searching for CRM material that allowed me to find Scottish Natterings, and I'm very glad I did. I have yet to visit the tearooms & church, but hope to one day, with camera. When I do, I shall have cream meringue in your, and Lady Muck's, honour.

7:12 AM  
Blogger 1st Lady said...

I'm sure you will highly enjoy the visit, I did... just go easy on the whipped cream.

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home