Sunday, February 14, 2010

Bright Minds And Illuminated Hearts.

Just a few words about my inverted Don Quixote quest to tilt at windfarms. The object of the Light Emitting Diode light building exercise, is to attempt to reduce my power consumption. I dislike compact fluorescent lamps with a vengeance, and am therefore stepping over them and moving directly to LED illumination.

I hope to be able to fully illuminate my home using only 100 watts, at least that is the target. In doing so however, I am having to construct new dimming solutions including linear, pulse width, pulse amplitude, & pulse position modulation. That, and I have to make dinner as well.

The mechanical construction of the colour/color version of the desk lamp is proceeding well, and the control & power circuit design is about half finished. This is an experiment in that I don't know if it will be any good as a functional lamp, so it may end up being an entertainment device. With that in mind, I may include a sound to light circuit, so that I may dance, dance, and forget my cares and woes.
Whisky fueled and light minded fooled, Sans dances.

I guess Spring is coming.

8 Comments:

Blogger bubbles said...

Ironically, I have been trying to become more literate about "lamps". I tried a CFL in the can light in the bathroom I'm remodeling. Ugh, ugh, ugh... gross!!! I can not stand those things!! I read that I should look for a different spec... that my "daylight" choice was too much somethingorather... Once I was in the store gazing at all the choices, I just picked up the indandecent. I'll enjoy the warm (expensive) glow while I can. After all, my new light bill for the next 12 months is down by $50 ... I deserve a little treat, right?

7:17 PM  
Blogger bubbles said...

Oh, and good for you with the LED's! Sorry about that!

7:18 PM  
Blogger love, jenn said...

Weird segue... Have you ever read Jasper Fforde?? I love everything he writes but his new book Shades of Grey is all about a world steeped in light and color and this post made me think you might enjoy.... They light their homes with the clever use of daylight and mirrors.... Ripley likes to chew the pages!

3:28 PM  
Blogger Just Dave said...

Candles and torches, man. They were good enough for William Wallace, they are good enough for me.

7:21 PM  
Blogger anne altman said...

i misss whissskey

10:12 AM  
Blogger Julia Phillips Smith said...

'I dislike compact fluorescent lamps with a vengeance'

More than I do?

10:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like when people are expressing their opinion and thought. So I like the way you are writing

3:02 AM  
Blogger Sans Pantaloons said...

Bubbles, Absolutely! Big Heart, Big Treat!

Some men go to the can with Jazz mags, I go with LED catalogues.
(Maybe I should not have admitted that..)

Jenn, I have tried Jasper on the recommendation that he writes similar to DNA, but could never get into his work. Ripley chews!?
Never. She is much too well behaved.

Dave, there is much in what you say. We may all have to re-learn to cope with less light.

Anne 2.0, soon. Maybe.

Julia, it seems to be a shared dislike across the entire Planet.

Anon. Okay...you can stay so far...

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home