Monday, September 19, 2011

Honesty.

The question then, is what constitutes a good book cover?
The simple answer would be one that sells books, Sans!

I am not satisfied with this answer. If I go to the Supermarket and purchase a tin of baked beans, I expect baked beans when I open it; if instead I find custard, it does not go well with toast.
Trust me on this.

My current stance is that a book cover should inform the prospective reader of the content, as much as possible on a limited space.
Or maybe the question should be do we need graphic book covers at all?
Other than the Title & Author is there any need for images that stir the imagination?
Should there be laws governing what can be implied by book covers?
I shall cogitate further on this. Comments and opinion are welcome.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Honesty"??? Sorry, I'm a little vague on the concept.....

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

... now "innocence" is a different story. I can totally relate to that one..

4:42 PM  
Blogger Just Dave said...

I think most people buy books by author and really pay little attention to the cover. That being said, I do think that the cover should have a bit of a description. Like, if I see a Patricia Cornwell book, it helps if it says on the jacket "A Kay Scarpetta Mystery". Then, I have a good idea of what I'm getting.

9:27 AM  
Blogger Julia Phillips Smith said...

Glad to see this post - it's always good to pay attention to the reader's view on things. I'm addressing the 'Kay Scarpetta Mystery' aspect at this very moment.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Sans Pantaloons said...

Dick, we are all innocence. Even us guilty ones.

Dave, that is good information, thank you.

Julia, can one have a book within a book?

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home