Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Robert Burns.

Since it's oor Rabbie's Birthday this fine day, a small lament:-

The complete works of Robert Burns have now been recorded, and are available online here.

Users accessing the embed from outside the UK may see an error message. For this, I apologise. The BBC has a compressed perspective.


The Slave's Lament

It was in sweet Senegal that my foes did me enthrall
For the lands of Virginia-ginia O;
Torn from that lovely shore, and must never see it more,
And alas! I am weary, weary O!
Torn from that lovely shore, and must never see it more;
And alas! I am weary, weary O!

All on that charming coast is no bitter snow and frost,
Like the lands of Virginia-ginia O:
There streams for ever flow, and there flowers for ever blow,
And alas! I am weary, weary O!
There streams for ever flow, and there flowers for ever blow,
And alas! I am weary, weary O!

The burden I must bear, while the cruel scourge I fear,
In the lands of Virginia-ginia O;
And I think on friends most dear, with the bitter, bitter tear,
And alas! I am weary, weary O!
And I think on friends most dear, with the bitter, bitter tear,
And alas! I am weary, weary O!

5 Comments:

Blogger Zed said...

It says "Not available in your area."
Crackpots. :)

Glad you're feeling better, Sans!

8:49 PM  
Blogger Sans Pantaloons said...

Zed, thank you. Reading the poem aloud in your best Sean Connery impression, gives the greatest effect!

5:43 AM  
Blogger Zed said...

I don't do Sean Connery impressions--but it's never too late to learn. :)

4:58 PM  
Anonymous wendi said...

You are so much more cultured than I am. You wear a tuxedo at all times, don't you? Just admit it.

7:53 PM  
Blogger Sans Pantaloons said...

Zed, I like your style! Zardoz is a good movie to get into his groove.

Wendi, only the best Armani for moi. I even wear my Tuxedo to bed on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. All other nights I wear my SpongeBob PJ's. I am a man of many creases!
And fluff, lots of fluff.

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home