Friday, November 20, 2009

Let There Be Light.

I mentioned previously I was working on Light Emitting Diode lights, and since this one was inspired by Charles Rennie Mackintosh, I thought I would post the end result.

The LEDs are mounted on four 3½ inch platters from salvaged Hard Disk Drives, themselves mounted on a 25mm tube. There are 16 of 5mm LEDs & 8 of 10mm LEDs, giving 24 LEDs per platter, and one 2½ platter with 8 of 10mm LEDs at the bottom. I'm running the LEDs at 30mA and the unit draws 11 watts from the 230v ac supply.

Although not quite as bright as an equivalent compact fluorescent lamp, it is much more interesting, and I have included a dimmer circuit with the potentiometer at the bottom.  

Unfortunately I have neglected to place any reference in the picture but, 
Like all good male things it's ten inches long.

4 Comments:

Blogger love, jenn said...

WAY cooler than the light I bought at Ikea that I am going to try and make my Dad install for Thanksgiving !!!

And 10 inches.... my word....

1:15 PM  
Blogger anne altman said...

how the f do you do it?

12:42 PM  
Blogger bubbles said...

Naughty, or is it me?

1:35 AM  
Blogger Sans Pantaloons said...

Jenn, it was hard making it. It's better that way.

Anne, I can't help but thinking some qualification is required...

Bubbles, you are correct. Naughty, but with passion for the Light of my Life.

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home