Friday, October 05, 2007

Brain Cloud.

I have been reading my old posts, some of which made me laugh.
Recent (mostly graphics) posts haven't been anywhere near as good and the explanation for that is probably lack of talent sleep.
Or maybe there aren't any good ones, and never were. Or maybe it's a time of year thing.

Lack of sleep leading to lack of visits to other Blogs, leads to absence
of inspiration, and that delivers me right here.

Douglas N. Adams once said "The way you really get good ideas, is from working with talented people you have fun with."

Blogging was made for this statement.


For me, that's the way Blogging works. Visiting the community of fine people I am proud to be associated with, I am inspired by the excellent writing, the creative imagination, the humor and their cognitive discourse on all kinds of topics and events.

I make no claims to be creative, or talented, funny or incisive. I paste together pieces of other peoples' graphics and get much enjoyment from doing so. When other Bloggers get enjoyment from what I do, that makes me happy.

And thus, visiting the posts of my recent past has stirred me; awakened something in me that was lying dormant. Maybe that's all that was required - a reference point.

I believe most people think of a Blog as ancillary, an add-on to our real life.
I certainly did, but now I'm not so sure. Perhaps Blogging is our real
life, or at least a major part of it. Rather than sacrifice sleep in order to manage this life, maybe it's work that should be slain on the altar.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sushiboy said...

Blogging is a major part of my life. But I couldnt' cut work out of my life yet. If I relied on my blog for sustanance I would starve, or freeze to death. Eating and sleeping in warm places are major parts of my life too. But I'd love to cut work out, :) sounds fun.

I'm going to contradict you though, your are talented funny... etc etc etc. Benjamen Franklin created the bifocal by cutting two other lenses in half and combining them. Was he a talented glassworker? Probably not, but he took fine work by other people, combined them to solve his problem. In doing this he was exercising a really unique talent. Seeing the merit in another peice of work and adapting it to conquer a completely different purpose. That takes talent.

4:22 PM  
Blogger Blue Beak said...

Sushi, Thank you for your kind comment. I'm not really advocating abandoning a source of income, since as you point out, income is required to live. I'm just trying to envision a system where work is simply a layer around ones life, rather than ones life, a layer around ones work.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Julia Phillips Smith said...

I think people who find a creative talent that comes easily - as in your graphic work - often don't give it any sort of regard because it's so easy or natural. However, if someone else tried it, it wouldn't work at all. So there.

12:29 AM  
Blogger bubbles said...

Sans
Ah, yes! Working to live is admirable. Living to work is just sad.

I agree with your take on the inspiration that others bring to the blog. My blog reads are so wonderful.

Thanks!

2:04 AM  
Blogger Sans Pantaloons said...

Julia, thank you. I value your opinion.

Bubbles, thank you. I trust your new Macbook is wonderful! Ah, blogging by the pool...life is so hard...

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home