Sunday, February 04, 2007

5 random things that have happened because of blogging

Tricia has tagged me with the 5 random things that have happened because of blogging meme.

Tricia's Musings at http://feverishthoughts.com has come back to us all!

Five random things that have happened because of blogging.

I never intended to be a blogger. I had zero interest in blogging. This is my story.

1. Introduction to Blogging.
I have been involved with electronic communication for a long time; with Bulletin Board Systems before the inception of the Web and then with the World Wide Web, this all through my interest in Electronics and MODEM technology.
Mostly my use of the WWW has been to do research and gather data, and so it was until the advent of Blogger.

I'm unsure exactly how I came across Blogger, it could be because some of the technology links I followed led me there, or possibly just press coverage of the phenomenon; however once there the next blog button was pressed.
I did this infrequently for months, having much fun and enlightenment reading along the way. In March 2006 I came across a request from a Blogger called
Madeleine Six to create a header for her blog. I like numbers, numbers are significant. I responded to her request and an online relationship was born.




These are the first two headers submitted to Madeleine.
This is turn led to more frequent visits to Madeleine's blog to see the results of my efforts, and more pressing of the next blog button. I bookmarked many of the blogs I found interesting and one such is the blog of
Anne Altman, Two Can Anne.
Unlike MadeleineSix, Anne does not allow anonymous comments, therefore I was unable to comment directly on Anne's blog. When I gathered sufficient courage and felt I had something worthwhile to contribute, the post was
this.

I sent Anne an email in my typical matter-of-fact work ethic style, in which any humor was 42 layers down and sounded as though I had taken some sort of offense. I had not however, and my reply to Anne sorted that out. Part of Anne's reply included the comment "hey andy! gotcha gotcha gotcha. nay, pants not required, sans pantaloons encouraged whilst commenting. all the cool kids are doing it!".
That then was the epiphany, and forever I would be sans pantaloons whilst commenting.

4¼. Stepping up to the line.
I now had an identity and an empty blog, but was still a tyro. The workings of Blogging were a mystery. I had been reading the blogs and comments of many wonderful, insightful, witty and intelligent persons. I did not have any perspective of the big picture nor indeed, do I consider myself worthy of making any significant contribution to the Blogging continuum; however as in nature, if one feeds, one must contribute to the larder and I was lacking in that aspect.

Jen called me to task and offered me her immense wisdom, guidance and encouragement. My first real post and contribution to the continuum is dedicated to Jen, and I will forever be her servant.

4½. Feeling the love.
I have now virtually met many, many wonderful people and I am constantly enthralled and excited by this wonderous Blogging adventure I have embarked upon. I enjoy the Blogging community into which I have been accepted and laugh heartily each and every day at the exceptional posts and comments this community, MY community generates. I find this new method of sharing human intellect extremely interesting and speculate with enthusiasm in which direction the future will take us.

5. The graphic gordian.
The concept is simple but the construct is complex. I have been told as a child I always had a pencil in my hand. I remember filling many Blue Challenge Notebooks provided by my Father, with drawings of creatures inspired by the BBC television series Dr. Who.
I have always had an interest in creating graphics, and this blended with computers and a willing audience in my Blogging community have brought us here.
Thanks Dad.

To end, I would like to include a comment by the well known writer Germaine Greer: "The first attribute of the art object is that it creates a discontinuity between itself and the unsynthesised manifold."

I am not worthy.

16 Comments:

Blogger Identity Crisis said...

Nicely said. It is intriguing to watch it grow. I hope the polite, witty intelligence and lighthearted banter prevails.

5:24 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

Nice insights although I'm not sure I understand the Greer quote. Keep up the great and fun work Andy!

9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sans! Come see my bus! I think with a snorkel and a roll of duct tape I can come getcha!

Smoooch

11:19 AM  
Blogger Some Guy said...

I like posts like this. Who would've guessed crazy Anne Altman was behind your moniker? I share many of your sentiments regarding blogging. It's a fascinating little subculture that has enriched my life.

2:55 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

I'm so glad you started blogging, Andy.

Along with others, you've helped to build a pretty wonderful and unique community of which I'm proud to be a part. Your generosity in helping solve fellow bloggers' problems and your contributions to their blogs is pretty outstanding.

Don't go way any time soon, okay?

5:30 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I knew you
would be great Andy!
it's true
I am wise & all knowing..

I love our blog community
you guys ROCK

oh BTW Andy- you can
NEVER
stop blogging..
the slack has spoken

=)

6:57 PM  
Blogger Sans Pantaloons said...

Identity crisis and, Thank you. I hope so to, but we will have to do battle with the NCC1701 to make it so.

Dale, Thank you. If you find anyone who understands Germaine's quote, please let me know.

Cat, I have taken my wet suit off and am waiting. Be gentle with me.

Chris, Yes a new form of life/living growing into space previously occupied by legacy paradigms. A question mark shaped petri dish if you will.

Zed, Thank you for those kind comments. To that end, Blogger has informed me that I will be pushed to Ex Beta/New on my next login. I hope I survive...

7:05 PM  
Blogger Sans Pantaloons said...

Jen, Thank you for being wise & all knowing. And funny. And kind. And caring...

Group hug everyone!!!

7:30 PM  
Blogger bubbles said...

Wait, wait, wait, don't hug without me!!! I want to be in the hug!

Your post was an outstanding read!! My thanks to Chris, who helped a fledgling blogger, who was lucky that SP dropped in 'on recommendation'! I really like having you in my cicle - whatever the heck that is!

So facinating this new way of connecting! I have really come to love it.

10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're a part of my blogging life, Andy!

1:27 PM  
Blogger Sans Pantaloons said...

AB, Thank you. Come on in, the hug's just getting started!

Amy, Thank you.

Thank you all for your kind comments.

An update on Germaine's quote:
Germaine is using manifold in this sense:-

Philosophy. (in Kantian epistemology) the totality of discrete items of experience as presented to the mind; the constituents of a sensory experience.

The Wikipedia entry on Immanuel Kant is here.

7:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post! At least you studied blogging and bloggers before you jumped into the pool. I jumped in with both feet and had to figure all of it out at once. LOL

Thank you for letting others know my site was down. It's just up now- three days later! So frustrating! Grrrr

I'm happy that I sent you a meme that you could make a truly worthwhile post out of. Fantastic job.

7:17 PM  
Blogger Scarlet said...

"I blog, therefore I am."

Overlapping ripples from one to another to another lead us all to each other.

Sans, thanks my friend. I thought it was nice to hear how it all came about.

4:33 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

Oh sure Zed, say something like don't go away soon, that'll keep him posting. Andy? Hello?

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I'm glad you decided to become a blogger.

5:21 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I liked the story of the beginning of it all-and like all of the bloggers before, I have been happy to share this witticisms with you, Andy - you are genius!

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home